The Virtual CMO Podcast
Season 5, Episode 14
Hosted By: Eric Dickmann
With Guest: Gina Pomponi
Our Featured Guest
President and COO - Bluewater Media
Gina Pomponi is an entrepreneur and President and COO of Bluewater Media. Bluewater is one of the leading digital marketing/video production companies in the world.
She has spent 30 years in the business pioneering digital marketing and a women’s role at the top of a company. She’s driven well over 11X in media growth and created Bluewater’s Account Management team to provide direct client support. Her leadership has been instrumental in building the web development division, e-commerce marketplace division, and expansion of the analytics team.
"Bluewater has on e metric of success: yours.
We are a DTC marketing and advertising agency converging all the services needed to be relevant to consumers where they live, work and play. We build disruptive, profitable connections between people and brands."
Bluewater Media is a direct marketing and advertising agency based in Clearwater, Florida. They are focused on creating brand-directed responses, brand integration, and traditional advertising methods to introduce products or services to the market.
Their creative team in Florida is dedicated to producing, developing, and distributing direct response campaigns, commercials, television series, documentaries, and films that integrate branding as a methodology to inform, educate and motivate consumers to make product choices. With the company's years of experience and dedication to delivering the best to their clients, they attack the work differently. They are always driven to deliver the best results to the organizations they are partnered with.
It's really interesting with creative because there's no right or wrong answer, right? So in the marketing and media world, with the strategy side, it's more numbers, it's more of what's proven. But on their creative side, when you're talking just about the pure creative concepts, it's more of a partnership with a client, because they've got definite ideas or thoughts that you will try to incorporate and bring to the table."
What We Discussed with Gina
On this episode, host Eric Dickmann interviews Gina Pomponi about using video to engage your target audience. Here are some highlights of our conversation:
- [00:01:52] What is the current state of video marketing? – Gina shares that video consumption has changed significantly. Today, viewers can consume video content using their mobile devices, tablets, and computers where in the past, video was primarily limited to TV.
- [00:05:29] User-generated content – In today's world, where everything seems possible- from creating astonishing video content with a mobile device to broadcasting and news reporting in the comfort of your home office, anyone can become a video creator. But what about the quality of content that is being published? Gina talks about the concept of user-generated content or UGC. It has been gaining in popularity for the past few years, but COVID has only accelerated it with people's desire to see fresh content.
- [00:08:49] When will a business need a full production studio? – Pomponi advises businesses to first identify where the content will be used. When creating social content, companies can make use of UGC. However, when the business aims to create television or mainstream advertisements, they should consider working with a full production crew with higher production values.
- [00:12:23] Advice for small businesses in creating videos on their websites – Businesses need to create a strong brand story to be able to articulate their value proposition. Gina explains that making a video is not only getting across the point of the brand and its core services, but also about creating an emotional connection to the audience.
- [00:13:48] How do you start with the creative process? – Startups may be overwhelmed with the idea of opening a business and advertising their products or services. Pomponi shares that she and her team at BlueWater Media do a lot of research to understand their brand and brand guidelines. She mentions that they want to understand the competitive marketplace and what others are doing to successfully deliver their messaging.
- [00:19:38] Why is there a notion of complexity in big production shoots? – Shooting commercials can intimidate people. The reality is that it takes more than a production crew and actors to create a commercial. It takes a whole village to bring your concept to video on screen. This can be expensive but is sometimes a more complex production is a requirement depending the environment you're trying to create. A successful ad can have a dramatic effect on your business so budgeting correctly is important.
- [00:21:18] Bluewater Media – Bluewater Media is a fully converged advertising agency that offers complete media services for both digital and television. They offer everything in-house, from creative to production and editing. They also have an entire digital content team that can assist their clients in conceptualizing engaging media.
- Bluewater Media - Company Website