The Virtual CMO Podcast
Season 5, Episode 3
Hosted By: Eric Dickmann
With Guest: Mike Lander
Our Featured Guest
Chief Executive Officer - Piscari LTD
Mike Lander is a an accomplished entrepreneur, Chairman, Chartered Director, seasoned Board Advisor. and Chief Executive Officer of Piscari Ltd. He specializes in helping suppliers negotiate better commercial deals with big clients, especially when Procurement gets involved.
Mike has had an eclectic career including engineering, project management, high-value consulting, and entrepreneurship. His start in life was like any kid growing up in a working-class family. His first job was at 16 when he left school and joined an engineering company as an apprentice. The remarkable bit was at the age of 42, Mike raised several million pounds from a UK bank and grew a consultancy to over 120 people. Currently, Mike Lander works with founders, CEOs, MDs, sales directors, commercial directors, sales people, account directors/managers to improve the sustainability and the negotiation capabilities of their commercial teams and provide deep insights into the mind of the procurement buyer.
"We’re all about helping you negotiate better commercial deals with your clients and your suppliers.
Are you frustrated with Procurement people when you are selling? Do you need to improve your negotiation skills to win more profitable deals? Do you need a Procurement professional to help you negotiate with your suppliers? We have developed free guides, online courses, workshops and consultancy support. It’s all been designed to help you negotiate better commercial deals with your clients and your suppliers."
Piscari Ltd is a professional training and coaching company that offers its clients a range of guides, online courses, workshops, and consultancy support to help them win more deals and make more money when negotiating with procurement professionals in big companies. Their in-depth online courses is led by a dedicated team of experts that provides students with a step-to-step guide to win more sales deals and proven methods to dramatically improve their conversions.
Work with Piscari Ltd to win more deals and make more money!
Access to their Next-Generation Training Course and Live Workshop here!
There's a direct correlation between negotiation maturity and profitability."
What We Discussed with Mike
On this episode, host Eric Dickmann interviews Mike Lander about negotiating with business clients. Here are some highlights of our conversation:
- [00:10:17]- How do you engage with people and sell them something? - Mike Lander advises not to rush things and take a step back before you start engaging with your customer. Identify the data first, categorize your customers, and create a deal that will serve you and your customer's best interests.
- [00:14:33] Why am I not going anywhere? - Mike tells us that businesses may often work hard to close a deal, but later realize their efforts were unprofitable. Often, this is because they may have negotiated the wrong way.
- [00:17:04] Level your playing field - There are times that you have to adjust your terms and conditions to meet your customers where they are. Lander urges businesses to be flexible whenever they can.
- [00:19:03] The art of negotiation - Larger companies may be inflexible with their terms and conditions. This gives small enterprises more flexibility when customizing their approach and using that to their advantage.
- [00:26:00] Research and be prepared - Whether you are aiming to sell your products or services to a private or public company, it is essential for you as a seller to research the company's background. Check out their website, LinkedIn, and businesses they've engaged with previously.
- [00:28:58] The Procurement Success Equation - Success is defined as price and savings. It's also about reliability: savings plus reliability plus quality plus sustainability. Once you can prove that you are a reliable, low-risk solution that can produce a high-quality outcome, then there is a high chance that you can attract companies to work with you.
- [00:31:15] What does Mike Lander do? - Mike Lander tells us that he works with the sales teams at small, medium, and large enterprises to be better negotiators. He runs training, coaches, and creates content to educate businesses on effectively closing deals with their clients.